Saturday, June 25, 2011

Local Rep BS

My local rep is a Republican, his name is Dan Lipinski.  For once I thought I'm going to contact this guy and voice my opinion about two things: 1. Drug Regulation and 2. Immigration

I sent two different notes on his handy dandy, send Lipiniski a message form found on his site.  The first was for drug regulation....I selected I wanted a response.  Minutes later I got a response:

"Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal restrictions on the use of marijuana. I appreciate hearing your views on this issue.

As you may know, the federal government currently classifies marijuana as a Schedule I drug, meaning that it currently has no accepted medical use in the United States, is highly addictive, and lacks required safety standards. In recent years, however, many have revisited the controversial subject of legalizing marijuana. Today, a number of states permit the medical use of marijuana, and more states are looking into adopting similar laws. In addition, several pieces of legislation have been introduced in the U.S. Congress seeking to legalize medical marijuana. These bills argue that marijuana use should not be under the jurisdiction of the federal government, and instead should be determined by individual state governments.

I believe we should certainly do more to help those suffering from devastating illnesses such as AIDS and cancer. However, I am reluctant to support the legalization of marijuana without stringent regulations on its distribution and use. Marijuana can be a harmful drug, especially when used by young people, and proper enforcement mechanisms would have to be enacted in any loosening of marijuana laws.

I understand your concerns and appreciate your insights. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding this or any other matter of concern. Additionally, I invite you to visit my website at www.lipinski.house.gov to learn more about my work at home and in Washington as well as to sign up for E-newsletters.

Sincerely,

DANIEL W. LIPINSKI
Member of Congress"

In my second note, which described what my family is going through with immigration and all,  I stated that I would like for him to support immigration reform of course has not gotten a response.....Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment