Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Safely Spooky


Our park district sponsors a yearly event called Safely Spooky.  The idea is to give the kids and adults a safe place where they can hang out for Halloween.  This was our first time participating in the event.  I figured it would be a cool thing to do for Cairo and it would get us out of the house for a bit.  I invited my sister-in-law and she joined us. When we got to the park the line to get into the park wrapped around the entire park.  Look!   Can you see the long ass line?? This park is huge, about the size of two neighborhood blocks and the line almost wrapped around the entire block!


I was a little concerned about Cairo, I wasn't sure if he was going to be freaked our or not.  I spotted some guy with a mask a bloody machete making his way towards us so I told Cairo  "hold my hand" and he goes "why" and I said "just remember it's all fake and not real", so he quickly grabbed my hand, just as the guy was a few feet away.  I was glad the pretend murderer didn't yell at us. Cairo was calm and collected.

We decided to paint our faces like catrinas.  Cairo too.  He didn't have a costume, but we had tons of face paint.  As we walked to the back of the line to get into the park people kept looking at us.  I'm not sure if they were looking at us cuz they thought "oh cool!" or "cheap costume", either way I think it was cool.  Although I wish the paint was better, the stuff we used was too oily and smeared easily.  Here's Cairo, doesn't he look like he's having a good time?


Here are the two of us....yeah he's still having a good time.


So the idea is you walk through the park and they have spooky decorations all around.  There were a doctor couple who were all bloodied up with organs in jars and body parts in hand.  Some prisoner girl who wanted help getting out and this nifty inflatable organ player, it had a rotating dancing couple!!


All along the place there were stands were the kids could get candy, some stands gave out full size candy bars!  Others gave you a piece of gum or starbursts bleh!  It got dark kinda quick and eventually we got to a tent, which was supposed to be a haunted house type tent. Cairo refused to go in...he quickly started to back away.  So he and I walked around it while Auntie went in on her own.  I'm happy to say she survived it.  Further down the road was a haunted grave yard and guess what?  Yep, Cairo refused to go through it so this time Auntie walked around with Cairo while I went through the graveyard/maze alone.  I made it out ok....or did I?

At the end of the whole thing they had 3 fogatas going.  They were huge.  Here's a pic of one, see how excited Cairo looks?


Aaaand here's a pic of Auntie....


Aaaaand here's a pic of me with Cairo.....OMG you can just see the excitement in this kids face.


I tried to get  a good picture but the light from the fogata was just to strong.


Instead of going on a hay ride we sat to eat some burgers and hot chocolate!


AND we found Waldo!!!




All in all Cairo did have a good time, even though he was a party pooper in the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment