Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Guards arrest that girl!!

This morning was an emotional one.  As I'm driving Cairo to school all he could talk about was his dad.  That in itself was difficult to deal with but then we got to the school yard.

Usually I let Cairo mingle with his classmates while they wait for their teacher. I stand in front of the line while he goes off and talks with his little friends.  Today though one moment he was with a small group of kids then I didn't see him anymore.  I started to walk down the line looking at every child to find him.  It didn't take long, he was in the front of the line with his head down.  I crouched down and asked him what was wrong.  He had tears rolling down his cheeks then he just buried himself in my arms.  I asked him:

 "What happened pappi??"

 He didn't respond and I asked him again.

Then he responded "She yelled at me".

I immediately thought "Who was the bitch that yelled at my baby?!?!?", so I asked "Who did pappi?".

"The girl over there"  I turned and wanted to growl like lioness protecting her cub, it was another first grader, so I held back the growl.

"What did she say to you?"

"She said to get in line"

Of course, I relaxed at this but my instinct was to yell out "Guards arrest that girl!!"

I held my cuddly cub until his teacher came out. She asked what had happened so I explained.  Cairo had tears just rolling down his cheeks and was holding on to me. I'm sure he was upset but now he was also embarrassed. Even the teachers heart broke, she asked him if he wanted to go with her while holding out her hand. He said yes and took it.

I did my best to explain to him that some kids just want to be bosses and tell other kids what to do but all we can do is ignore them and we shouldn't let them get to us.  That's easier said than done.  Cairo is not one for confrontations, he can't handle them and I can't handle having little monkeys, that barely learned how to wipe their own butts, pushing him around. What is a parent to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment