Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Transformers Cake!!!!

Cairo's birthday was earlier this week.  My chunka munka turned 6 and even though Jose is not here right now we tried to not bring the birthday boy down.  My brother in law offered to have a cook out for Cairo at his home and how could I say no?  I said sure, but I'm bringing the cake.  So I made Cairos birthday cake and here is how it went.

I didn't take pictures of the process of baking the cake because quite frankly I'm not that talented to bake a cake made from scratch.  I bought a couple boxes of Duncan Hines French Vanilla Cake Mix and just followed the instructions.

Here is the bottom layer of the cake with the well:


I filled the well with cream cheese frosting.  It's basically whipped cream cheese with sugar:



Added the top layer and ready to frost:


Finished frosting.  Normally I would be upset about the crumbs but since this cake is getting Transformed I didn't care all too much.  I think I need to find some other none stick spray or some other way of lining the pans.  I keep getting this thin cake skin that comes off and makes the cake crumbly when I frost it:


The last few times I've made cakes (I'll post pictures later) I've colored the frosting.  This time I left it white because I decided to try Duff's Cake Graffiti I used the blue and silver.  I really liked the silver, it's totally metallic, I want to make a car cake or something.  This is how it turned out:


I made some buildings out of the extra cake batter, I colored them a gray color.  They looked purple in the kitchen but when I brought them out into the sunlight they were really gray:


I figured the buildings needed some windows, doors and green foliage and I added the "Happy Birthday Cairo!".  I tried to make the letters look Transformery and they kinda grew as I wrote them but I'm ok with how they came out:


I made some blue frosting for the swirlys at the bottom:


Cairo wanted stars lining the top:


I bought some transformers to add as toppers and wah-lah!! :


We tore into that cake, you can kinda see the cream cheese filling:


Cairo seemed to have liked it very much, check out his new Mohawk hair cut:



I was really nervous about making this cake, but I'm really glad I did. Cairo really liked it.  The height of the cake prevented me from covering it while it was in the fridge. I thought the frosting was going to dry out and get hard but I was pleasantly surprised, it was soft and the cake was still moist also...double bonus!  Next time I will make a larger cake.  This cake was enough for 9 adults and 4 kids, I'm glad there was enough for every one, it was a pretty close call though.

No comments:

Post a Comment