Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cairo and the Cub Scouts

This week Cairo and I went to a Cub Scout meet and greet event. It was pretty low key, just a few parents checking in and asking questions.  It all seemed great.  The kids get to do projects, work on badges and go to events.  When I was reading the info and their oaths I have to admit that I was a little concerned at how much God plays a role in the Cub Scouts.  Not so much because my views on God and religion are very different from most but because that is something, in my opinion, that should be handled at home.  Even though I was a little reluctant, Cairo got signed up.  I figure it's a good way to spend quality time with him and I know he's going to have fun, he'll make new friends.  Plus after explaining to Cairo that the Cub Scouts are like the boy version of the Fire Site Girls, well there was no turning back!

I'm really looking forward to the weekly meetings.  I think Cairo is going to enjoy being a cub scout and I really like the idea of having this time that is just "Cairo time".  I'll be able to focus entirely on him, what he's doing and working on stuff together.  At home, even though we do do stuff like watch movies and pop popcorn or go on walks or go to the park on the weekends we really don't do much during the week. It's always a rush rush thing.  We rush home after work/school, we do home work, he watches T.V. while I wash dishes and/or do some laundry.  Then it's shower time for him then bedtime.  What saves me a a ton of time is the fact that we usually have dinner at my moms during the week. Since she picks him up after school for me it's just easier to give in to her offerings of some good Mexican cooking.

Our meetings are Monday nights so they won't get in the way of therapy on Tuesdays and we have our first fundraiser!  We are selling popcorn! Can you say YUM?  Wish us luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment