Friday, April 27, 2012

Gordos Birthday

For the first time ever we celebrated Jose's birthday. He's not big on doing that, hence the lack of celebrations. This time around, considering everything he'd gone through the past year, we decided to at least have family over. His brother, sister and cousin with their families came over and my family did too. We had an awesome time. Jose's brother-in-law (Jose's sisters husband) made chicharones, which were OMG good. I made some frijoles a la charra, Jose's sister made rice and we had some aguas frescas. The food was good.

We, of course, also had some desert. I made my Gordo a cake. I had been contemplating on what kind of cake I should make for him. All kinds of images came to mind, jailbird cake (yeah I know it's not funny but that's what came to my sarcastic mind), construction cake...but then it hit me..."I know! I'll make him a pool table cake!" He's really good and playing pool. I found out the hard way several years ago :) Well here is it. Not to toot my own horn but I'm kinda surprised at how well it turned out.




I made a cream cheese filling, it was really good. I don't like using frosting as a filing. I like using cream cheese or strawberry jelly or something else.

2 comments:

  1. How cute, it came out great. Happy Birthday to your hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! All Jose could say was "freeken America" with a big ol' smile :)

      Delete